Friday, January 27, 2012

Food pairings with video games - (Matthew W.)

For inspiration (and because the hubs is out tonight at a meeting) I watched the Thanksgiving episode from the third season of Gilmore Girls.  Somehow, they overbook themselves and agree to attend four different dinners during the day.

Lorelai: Rory what are we if not the world's champion eaters?
Rory: It's too much food.
Lorelai: It's not too much food. This is what we've been training for our whole lives. This is our destiny, this is our finest hour.
Rory: Or final hour.


Now, I enjoy eating, but not that much.  I am more of a grazer.  And, I shamelessly take advantage of the time my husband plays video games to eat what I avoid during the day for fear of having to share it with my toddler.

Beer - This is the official beverage of The Video Game Voyeur.  In the summertime I enjoy Corona.  In the winter my guilty pleasure is Woodchuck Cider (fake beer.)  Year round I choose Stella or Natty Boh (in a can in my purple Boh face cozy, thank you very much.)

Poor Man's Taco Dip - I did not invent this by any stretch, but I own it nonetheless.  Simply, this is sour cream, salsa, and shredded cheddar.  I don't know about you, but I don't have time for the four or so other layers.  Lime tortilla chips elevate this dish to satisfy any palette. 

Popcorn - First of all, I love popcorn.  It may be the perfect snack.  It is light, crispy, amazing for catching on your tongue and provides endless seasoning possibilities.  I am a fan of lightly salted or white cheddar.  Kettle corn is out.  Caramel corn is in.  Second, there is no shortage of popcorn in this house.  Unbeknownst to me (until recently), the Boy Scouts pimp popcorn like the Girl Scouts turn thin mints.  And, being an Eagle Scout himself, my husband has a soft spot for boys in uniform.  Ah, sadly, there was no better way to say that.  Long story short, we bought a lot of BSA popcorn this fall.

Oreos - Speaking of cookies, Oreos are by far my favorite.  I have never tried to make these at home because, well, they are perfect just the way they are.  While I am typically a savory snacker, I will always love me some cookies and milk.  The regular fat Oreos taste WAY better than the reduced fat, but you tend to forget that back at home.  Plus, if I get reduced fat I have permission to eat four instead of three and dunk them in the kid's whole milk instead of my usual skim.  I don't want to risk getting hungry in the middle of the night, do I?  No way, hons!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not approving of your Corona choice...the more I drink that CRAP watery beer, the more I hate it, even during the hot summer.

    But everything else sounded mighty tasty. My video-game watching food of choice: poor man's milkshake.

    Step 1: Put 3 huge spoonfuls of mint-choc-chip ice cream in a glass.
    Step 2: Pour skim milk, just enough to cover the ice cream.
    Step: Stir it around a couple times and eat (sometimes I add some choc syrup just for good measure).

    You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. That fakey milkshake is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete