Saturday, January 7, 2012

Daughters - (Zach L.)

My life's focus is my two daughters.  Their very existence gives mine a deeper purpose than I would ever discover without them.  Even at very young ages, their actions teach and inspire.  My eldest is nearly three and already has a perspective and wit that makes me smile.  My youngest is a couple months shy of one, but communicates with a confidence many adults lack.  They have already developed a precious bond, one that I thought might take years.  I feel pure joy when I observe them laughing, playing and snuggling together.  Their innocence energizes me.  

Some times, though, I feel hidden behind them, my two cute bubbly babies who steal the show.  They rightly take priority over almost any thing else in my world.  It would be impossible to count the showers, meals, and hours of sleep I have already lost.  On occasion, I sacrifice in a state of  melodramatic mommy martyrdom.  Mostly, I hope, I simply woman up and do what is best.  In good ways and in bad, they drain me, oh do they drain me.   

Thankfully, I have recently embraced the importance of taking care of myself.  It's hard, but I have the honor of being home full time with my daughters.  I love them so much and they deserve the best me I can give.  So, some times I put myself first.  Writing this blog is one way I make time for finding my own voice.  I pray it is one they admire.   



"A startled or surprised look from one of you when I spoke sharply rebuked me more than any words could have done, and the love, respect, and confidence of my children was the sweetest reward I could receive for my efforts to be the woman I would have them copy."

-Lousia May Alcott, Little Women

No comments:

Post a Comment